Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Update

Have you missed us? Sorry that we’ve been MIA for a little while, but real life called and Eddie had to get back to the singing and I had to get back to… uh…well me and Amanda went back to shopping :) But since we were at Target and we looked at small appliances (which I’m really feeling the need to register for this soft service ice cream maker for the kitchen) it was technically related to McNest – so I’ve still been steady at it.

But yeah back to why you are here. You want a housing update right? So I’ll get to it. I’ve said before that the whole home improvement thing is really a lot of decision making. There are many things I can make…cupcakes…cute flair buttons...scrapbook pages…cute photoshopped pictures of Eddie as a pirate….but when it comes to making one decision after another… I’m not so good at that. I have learned through the course of our improvements, that if you don’t like to make decisions you should really just learn to love the house you have as it is. I want nothing more than to love McNest unconditionally, but with the whole naked walls and bare floors thing going on it ain’t gonna happen. :)

I’ve been anxious to start on something new, so Monday nite – Eddie and I went to Lowe’s to pick out (and decide) on paint colors for the remaining rooms downstairs (kitchen, dining room, bathroom). Shopping together has definitely taught me a few things. I’ve learned that Eddie likes to be inspired and has an idea in his head about what he is looking for and what styles and colors that he wants. I pretty much come to the big paint terminal at Lowe’s and have my magazines marked with exact replicas of rooms I would like to recreate. Our styles are a little different that’s for sure. But it’s all about a balance. Eddie’s been a real pro at picking out paint colors thus far since I manage to get overwhelmed easily while staring at 84 different shades of yellow.

We picked out paint and last nite started painting the one room that didn’t require sheetrocking, sanding, puttying, taping and other jobs that I don’t even know anything about. You know some people buy houses and find money in the walls or high dollar antiques …not us. So far we’ve found black holes and vortexes of doom that suck all of the money out of our bank accounts. You’re only gonna get some before pictures on this one since I am waiting until it all dries for an after. So here we are before. I thought I was good at painting until I started. I mean the bedroom walls turned out pretty good.

However this time, I pretty much had the paint going on everything I didn’t want it to go on. For example, my face…the floor…and oh yeah how could I forget the ceiling! I’ll just go to another wall…oops now I’ve got it on the chair rail… I better go get a paper towel to clean that off…oh now I’ve tracked it into the kitchen…better wipe that up before Eddie sees…oh crap I just leaned against the wall… need to run to the bathroom and get that off my arm…oops stepped into the paint… you get the picture people.

And there’s Eddie…just painting away perfectly all of his walls… how annoying right?! He could at least do something unperfect so that I would feel better about myself. Eventually he did…and it was all good.

I really think I’m going to like the color once it all dries. It will darken up some and be a lovely contrast to its neighboring rooms (which one day hopefully will be finished … Lord willing before I move in).


So I’ll leave you with one more photo and another life’s lesson to take with you. Documenting our journey with this house not only serves to chronicle McNest’s evolution into a home…but it documents our own journey as husband and wife to be. Oh…and I’ve found that the best way to deal with the mounting anxiety over decision making and unfinished ginormous projects is to fantasize about wedding registries and all of the fun things (I mean really…soft serve ice cream in your own house) that are to come.

2 comments:

nitadee said...

Several things.

1. Your hair color is fab - it's all glossy & shiny! Even as you paint. Way to work it, divadarla, way to work it.

2. I can't WAIT to view the color once it dries! Which room is it - my room? Are y'all still going with orange for the living room?

3. LOL --> "So far we've found black holes and vortexes ..." I love that sentence. Sounds completely appropriate.

4. Soft Serve Ice Cream Machine. Duh. That's clearly a done deal. I'll be sure to bring some cones whenever I visit!

5. For real. Bring on the registry.

6. Edward never responded to my suggestion for Thursday nights being McNestival night(that's new, by the way. It signifies all future events that occur at your abode, including home improvements).

7. I'm so happy you updated. It just made my afternoon. You're swell :)

Anonymous said...

I love the green!!!!!! I can't wait to see the dining room. You look so perfect painting - matching wardrobe. I am impressed

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com