Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hi...My Name Is

So due to the astronomical prices of building contractors and professional painters in combination with our willingness to start projects in which we have no expertise in whatsoever, hubby to be and I (along with a crackerjack team of other non-professionals) are doing the majority of our renovating and home improving on our own.

Now seems like an appropriate time to reveal the name of our house, because really…what better time is there than at the beginning of a post revolving around said subject. So after a rather lengthy text conversation (two in all) and after considering countless name suggestions (again…two), one name really seemed to capture us and our soon to be home just perfectly. So from now on we’ll refer to our house as McNest – a tribute to Grey’s Anatomy terminology and a cute name for our cozy retreat (and we know I love cuteness).

Renovating is a rather new experience for me. As time goes by, walls go down, walls go up and so on and so forth – we’re pretty much being offered a fresh start – a blank slate you might say. Know what comes with a blank slate? Lots of options. Don’t get me wrong, I love the opportunity to do just what we want to McNest. However, as many of you know, I sometimes tend to be a tad bit indecisive. This is evidenced by the fact that I have been trying since the day after we were engaged to decide on a paint color for the kitchen. Here we are 47 days later and still no progress made on that front.

Some might also say that I tend to sometimes possibly be a little bit on the melodramatic side. Who me? What? It’s true. When I walk into McNest, my brain goes into overdrive and starts composing to-do lists to cover all of the stuff that needs to be done. It is just simply overwhelming the way my mind works – allowing absolutely no room to focus on anything more than completing the whole renovation at once and if at all possible by the end of the week. Flight of the Bumblebee starts playing in my head and the room starts spinning (not really – but it makes for good effect while writing – me dramatic? Never).

At times like that I have to remember to breathe (luckily I learned how to treat hyperventilating while at my surprise birthday/engagement party so I’m an expert at calming myself down). Then figure out what task I’m going to work on (or Eddie is going to work on), and then be happy when we accomplish something (yes! I totally succeeded in putting the outlet covers back on – I rock!)

So yeah – renovations have proven to be a lot of things – stressful (how’s it gonna get done), frustrating (dumb wallpaper), and difficult (dumb wallpaper). But the renovations have also give us much to laugh about (dumb wallpaper), given us some fun times (painting), and have been pretty rewarding even this early on.

I want McNest to have character, and I’m thinking between the two of us – it’ll have just that ;)

1 comments:

nitadee said...

McNest. Chortle.

It's totally appropriate so well done you two! Y'all make me giggle.

The kitchen: sage green, buttercup yellow -- a magenta-ish color to really make all those pink Kitchen Aid accessories "pop?"

(I totally need to come home so I can gain a better understanding of how the rooms interconnect. I need to feel the mood of the color flows throughout your dwelling...)

At any rate: Hello, McNest. I look forward to spending many a fun-filled night :)

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com